One reason for my perplexity when studying the Diamond Sutra was that I expected to study, listen and learn the profound and scholarly teachings of the ancient mysterious Dharma. But, oh my goodness, the Diamond Sutra begins with a very normal, not to mention trivial and somewhat elementary, story: The Buddha, sensing he was hungry at mealtime, would put on his robe, retrieved his begging bowl and went to beg for alms. He did not deign to say a word, not even clear his throat to assert his authority. Just think, at that time there were thousands of people, great bodhisattvas, arahants, “dignitaries”, close disciples, all sitting there waiting eagerly for a profound teaching. But the Buddha just donned his robe, took his bowl and went into the city to beg for food. When he deemed the food enough, he came unhurriedly back to the “assembly”, took out his food, ate it, then put bowl and robe neatly away, washed his feet, took the cross-legged position, and breathed deeply… which means he entered … a dhyana absorption! Not one word was said. Not even a small murmur of instruction! I imagined, if I was there, hanging somewhere around outside in the corridors waiting to listen to the teaching, how I would be frustrated out of my mind and utterly dismayed! All of a sudden, Subhuti appears from among the seated crowd. Jumping up on his feet to a revered ceremonious bow to the Buddha, he said “It is very rare, World Honoured One! How well the Tathagata protects and thinks of all Bodhisattvas, how well He instructs all the Bodhisattvas”!
Like a big explosion catching everyone off guard, so came the impact of the delivered message in the lesson that no one had initially realized! From shock turned to discomfort. Oh my God, we didn’t pay attention carefully for the unspoken teaching given by the Buddha! Fortunately, Subhuti did! Otherwise, we’d be sorry to miss such an opportunity!

The Buddha has his own method of teaching: he does not speak, but he acts for us to see. This is a very new and modern instructional method to teach “life skills”, called “demonstration” which means to show, to give example to be followed. Once more, we see that learning and practicing Buddhism involve doing, not speaking. Do first, explain later. In fact, there may not be a need for speech at all. We understand now why the Zen masters required their disciples to cut wood, cook meals, fetch water, plant vegetable, and pound rice … without uttering one word of teaching. Until the student discovered an urgent need to be taught, then the teaching will be given but in a unique way: sometimes by capsizing a boat, sometimes a knock to his head, or a reply in riddles, or sometimes by an ambiguous answers like “give me your mind, I’ll pacify it”. The student at first will be stupefied… then later enlightened as if awaken from a delusion! At the end of the school, the student will not receive any diploma to show off, and the master has nothing to give him either. Because “the thing” inherently already exists within the pupil, the master only helps him to unearth it and experience the discovery of the “resolution” for himself. This process is called “counselling”, a contemporary method in psychotherapy and modern day medical treatments. The counsellor is like a midwife; she helps the mother to give birth but cannot give birth in her place. The child already exists in his mother’s womb.

(Quý Phật tử nào muốn tham khảo, học hỏi thêm về Anh ngữ, xin mở "song hành" _ 2 tab cùng lúc để đối chiếu. Phần Anh ngữ này được chép vào đây nhằm phục vụ cho những Dịch Giả tương lai)